Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hitchhiking Up Coastlines

Unfortunate family circumstances have brought me back to Canada. While I won’t go into a lot of detail about this, suffice to say, I have returned to the homeland, at least for the time being.

Freelance has been keeping me fairly busy, and that’s nice, but I would like to find something more permanent. So I’m keeping my ear to the ground and sending out stuff here and there.

However, one great thing about freelance is the mobility it affords me. I can work from just about anywhere. A couple of days ago I hitchhiked up the coastline of Vancouver Island to visit an old friend. In the process I was able to work on assignments and brainstorm between rides on the wide open road.

I’ve hitched across Canada, Mexico, Poland, West Africa and the States, so I’m familiar with the game, and I forgot how exciting it is. You’re out on the road with everything you own on your back and the sun in the sky and the universe is there to play dice with your soul and you never quite know where you’ll go.

I caught rides with logging truck drivers and fishermen and scientists and punks from Montreal. And that was just this trip alone. I can keep anyone talking and that’s what they want: to share their adventures of the road.

And there are some great stories out there.

Everyone I met had hitchhiked before and everyone I met wanted to read my book. So I need to get going and start on Plan B: contacting literary agents en force.

No comments: