Monday, March 31, 2008

The Beginning

When Henry Miller was starting out, he wrote a letter to his favourite author asking how to begin as a writer.

“By writing,” was the reply he got.

On Bukowski’s tombstone it says, “Don’t try.”

This means, don’t try to be something. Be something.

So here goes. I’m on my way. And I’m writing from scratch.

Sure I had sixty some chapters written before, but I’ve decided to start anew.

But first things first, I had to make sure I can get work when I’m done, as I’m already raiding the change jar.

So, I placed a few ads online. Then, I wrote a story about our trip to the Philippines that I can hopefully sell to a travel magazine (if you are interested, let me know). And I had to nab a bit of freelance to keep the wolves from the door.

Now, I can start.

1 comment:

Hanna said...

Clever words. Bukowski and Henry Miller's favorite author really knew what they were talking about. If you want to achieve something, you need to believe that you can right. :)