Friday, May 9, 2008

Spidey Senses

W+K are onto something and I want to know what it is.

There is something about their Nike ads that strikes a primal chord.

Every time, around 10 to 15 seconds before they show the logo at the end, you can feel it. Something. They create a physiological reaction through sound and image alone.

They create emotion.

Sometimes it’s a chill up the spine. Sometimes it’s that lump in the stomach, reverberating heartstrings, the sinking crest.

But you feel it. You feel something, every time, in exactly the same spots.

I want to know how they do this. I am dying to know. Hungry. I want to capture the smell of glass.


This one it's the 50-second mark. If you watch it from the beginning with complete focus, you get a cold chill at exactly the same point, every time.



Same deal. If you lose yourself in the character: Chills. Guy Ritchie directed this one, so maybe that's part of it. I love the music.



I always show this one, but it's fantastic. This one you get the tug around 0:23.



0:42. Love this music too.




What's the secret? Our empathy to raw, real human emotion? The choice of music? The editing?

I have to get back to writing. But this is what my writing needs.

No comments: